Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Three Impostors by Arthur Machen

I really had not read Machen until I picked up this book. I had heard great things for years but for some reason just never got around to picking up one of his books. Now I wish I had done so sooner.
Arthur Machen was a mystic and a genius. I found myself reading this book at rapid speed because I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. It consists of short stories that are all related by the search for a gold Tiberius coin and a man with spectacles.
Machen has been noted as an influence on H.P. Lovecraft. While I don't see Machen's work influencing Lovecraft in his treatment of mood, I do see it influencing him in the way of content and delivery. However, as I said earlier, this was my first Machen book. He may have other stories that convey mood in a way that is similar to Lovecraft.
In addition to containing themes that will make any reader of Lovecraft feel at home, Machen's stories also contain hints of his occult knowledge. My favorite story of the book, "The Novel of the White Powder", definitely shines through in this regard.
I'm definitely planning to read more Arthur Machen in the future but next I plan to crack open Tales From the Nightside by Charles L. Grant. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment