Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Stormbringer RPG

Stormbringer is an RPG that was written by Ken St. Andre and Steve Perrin and published by Chaosium back in the early 80s. It has seen many incarnations since and I've never played it. With all of the Moorcock I've been reading, my interest was piqued and I decided to pick up the rules and check it out.
As a kid and young adult, I played a lot of D&D. Then I took a break from RPGs altogether until a few years back when I picked up Pathfinder to give that a try. I found the system way too complex. I know that a lot of people love it but it just wasn't for me. When I was about to give up on RPGs again, DCC (Dungeon Crawl Classics) was released. I absolutely LOVE that system. It's minimal enough to allow good flow but the rules are also great. I love that magic can be dangerous and magic items should be rare. I also love the plethora of tables in DCC and the random nature of the game. The 0-level funnels have been some of my favorite role-playing experiences. This is especially true on the DM side of things because for some reason I find it hilarious to watch players die.
Much like DCC, Stormbringer has a lot of qualities that I'm falling in love with. Magic can be dangerous because it is typically done by summoning and binding demons. There is some randomness involved here and if things go bad...goodbye character. I like this. Like DCC, magic is something that should be revered. You shouldn't just use it because you can. You have to weigh out the possible consequences.
Character generation in Stormbringer is not as random as in DCC. I like this but it will take a little longer than DCC to get a new party together to begin a campaign. This isn't a problem as it still should take a hell of a lot less time than it does to create a character for games like Pathfinder. However, if your players are accustomed to just showing up to a new campaign and being handed a random set of characters, they could be disappointed. In my own game that I will be running, I may do the random work up front but it will depend on what the players want to do. I could also just roll up a bunch of characters and let them blindly choose, roll a die to choose, etc. I haven't decided yet.
As for adventures, I'm working on this. I wanted to read through the rules first and get a feel for how things worked. Now that I have at least a bit of a handle on game mechanics, I'm starting to plan out what will happen in my game. It will most likely be a mix of my own ideas and some of the printed scenarios that are available. I'm not sure yet if I want to strictly adhere to all of the history and mythology of the Young Kingdoms. I like the thought of being able to come up with my own towns, mythologies, legends, etc. and insert these into the campaign. I suppose I could always have the players discover a portal to another universe if I really want things to be different.
I plan to blog about playing this game as we go although it isn't slated to start for a bit yet so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment